In Hawaii, there are certain life events, such as marriage or divorce, in which there is an established procedure to legally change your name. Outside of those specific situations, there is a separate legal process you will need to follow to undertake a name change for yourself or on behalf of a minor.  

In the event of marriage, you add your new name to a marriage license, a copy of which can be obtained from the Department of Health. In the case of a divorce, you specify the name change in the divorce decree, which you can obtain from the family court after filing 

To change your name under other circumstances, you must file a petition with the Lt. Governor’s Office. To change a minors name, both natural parents or a legal guardian must file a petition with the Lt. Governor’s officeIf only one natural parent is filing the petition, the petitioner must obtain the written consent of the other parent. 

For detailed information on the process, go to 

 For assistance with legal name changes, please contact Seth Harris, an experienced attorney and senior associate with the PMK Family Law Division.